Valentine's Cake

Wednesday, February 11, 2009


I found out about a cake decorating contest that Ace of Cakes and the Food Network were holding on Youtube and just couldn't pass that up. So I started trying to think of designs for my entry. A few months ago my nephew drew a cake for me and I loved it so much I put it on my fridge. When he came over for Christmas I showed him I had his picture displayed. He asked "so did you make it yet"? Ha! I had no idea it was an order! So I decided to base my contest design on his drawing. Hopefully he'll be happy with it. :)

This was also the first time I made a video. It had to be under three minutes for the contest so everything is cut a little short but I'll try to make a longer video this weekend to demonstrate how to make a topsy turvy style cake.

This cake was made from a 6", 8", 10" cake and covered with fondant. The topper is made from rice krispie treats and gumpaste, and it says "Chris and Janell", of course. ;)

Here's the video if you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7xY3MYGHBM&feature=channel_page

8 comments:

Linda said...

The cake is beautiful and the video was awesome! I could sit and watch you make and design cakes all day long! You are truly amazing! Love you!

Aubrey said...

Hi! I just saw your cake on cakecentral.com, congrats on winning, it is a gorgeous cake! And I just wanted to say thank you for posting a how-to video of it. I am just starting to get into cakes and I am not very good, especially with fondant. If you don't mind I would like to check back on your blog and see your new recipes, cakes, or helpful instructions if that is okay?

Janell said...

Thanks Aubrey. I'd love to have you come back!

Jeannie and Henry said...

Hi Janell!
I saw your cake on Cake Central and happy it was placed. Your cakes are very beautiful. I have a question to ask, I notice you have a wooden turntable, where did you purchase it? Mine is plastic and about four inches off the table; it's very difficult to use when I have large cakes. Thanks a bunch!

Jeannie

Janell said...

Thanks. My turntable is a lazy susan I bought from IKEA. I love it!

Jeannie and Henry said...

Hi Janell!
Thank you for replying to my question. I never thought it was a lazy suzanne.
Jeannie

Jessica said...

Holy cow, that is one fantastic cake! I ♥ it!

Astrid said...

This is beautifull, may i ask for how many people the cake is.
I got an order for a topsy turvy cake for 80 people is this possible to do????
If so, witch sizes do i use for the cakes.

Thank you.
Binkie